Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Bye Bye Bucka


This past Saturday, a dear family member passed away. Don was my mum's boyfriend, I had known him for nearly 15 years, and he was family. After my mum died, he was left heartbroken, and never really got over it.

Within a year of her passing he was diagnosed with lung cancer, which he courageously fought and it went into remission. He had such a wonderful attitude about it all, despite us all being so upset this happening to him. But then the cancer came back, this time in his brain. The doctors told him treatment might not help, but he did it anyways. On April 21st, he was given a letter saying he had 1 year to live. He got swelling and fluid on the brain, and when they tried to drain the fluid, they hit a small artery. His condition worsened and he was hospitalized, then transfered to Hospice care shortly there after. Once there, his spirit got a bit brighter, being in a much better environment, but it started to wear on him seeing the people around him dying.

We all went to see him on Tuesday, and I am so glad we did. I knew deep down after that visit that it wouldn't be too long before he died. He looked so tired and thin. Not a nice way to remember someone, but we saw him nonetheless. Ben was so sweet with him, sitting on his bed watching cartoons, sharing candies, giving big hugs.

I am glad he isn't in pain anymore, and he is with my mum. It was so hard losing my mum so suddenly, but in some ways this way was even more difficult, seeing the suffering and unhappiness.

We love you and miss you Bucka (my nephew couldn't say 'Grandpa' as a toddler, and this is what stuck :D ) and will remember you forever.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kerry said...

That's so sad, but I'm glad you all got to spend time with him on Thursday, and I'm sure he appreciated it.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Merriman said...

Ya, I am SO glad we saw him. It is so sad, can't believe he is gone :(

8:50 AM  
Blogger cathy said...

I am so sorry for your loss Cynthia.

xo

9:33 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

Oh, Boy Cynthia. I just read your blog. I too am sorry for your loss.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Merriman said...

Thanks C & D... we went to the funeral today, and it was nice. Glad it is over though. Emotional roller coaster :(

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home